The name Herman Miller stands for quality, design, and ergonomic perfection when it comes to high-end office chairs, so there’s no need to mention it much. Among their most famous and popular chairs is the Mirra, and the Mirra 2 is one of their best.
Nevertheless, when you spend that kind of money on an office chair, you want to know how much better the Mirra 2 is than the original Mirra chair. Is it really worth it? In our Herman Miller Mirra 1 vs 2 comparisons, we’ll find out.
Also Read: Stealtho Magic Office Chair Caster Wheels REVIEW – Honest review
Herman Miller Mirra 2
Ten years have passed, and Herman Miller released the new version of the Mirra. With its elegant design and excellent build quality, it is extremely hard to not recommend it to anyone looking for a new, high-end office chair. The Mirra 2 retains the same shape as the original model, but in a smaller frame.
Herman Miller Mirra 1
In 2003, the Mirra chair was introduced to the world scene and was something that hadn’t been seen before. With its futuristic design and a lot of adjustment options, it became a chair that everyone wanted and got several great awards.
Quality of construction and build
In spite of being among the cheapest office chairs on the market, the Mirra 1 and Mirra 2 are built with amazing quality materials. The Mirra 2 is made from high-quality materials and is manufactured in the USA, which is one of the main reasons the brand is so popular. Both versions are sturdy and made in the USA.
Despite the fact that Mirra 2 weighs only 42 pounds (8 pounds lighter than Mirra 1), it is easy to move around in it. The Mirra is made from polyurethane, plastic, and aluminum, so durability is not an issue. It is pretty much the same as the original Mirra.
It’s a mesh seat on both of these chairs, and the Mirra 2 is made from AireWeave 2, a soft, durable mesh. Due to the stiffer feel of the seat on both Mirra 1 and Mirra 2, these chairs may not be for people who prefer a soft seat.
However, for people who prefer the stiffness and support these chairs provide, the Mirra 2 is a great choice. You can choose between the TriFlex Back and Butterfly Back with the Mirra 2. We recommend the Butterfly Back to those who prefer to mesh on their backrests since the mesh cover makes a big difference.
In summary, you can’t go wrong with either of these when it comes to building quality, since both are built to last, and the 12-year warranty proves this.
Also Read: Top 6 Best chair for varicose veins
Mirra chairs from Herman Miller provide support exactly where it’s needed. It is important to note that they are not meant to be used as a place to lie down and fall asleep. For that reason, they are quite comfortable even after long hours of work or studying.
Due to its mesh construction, the seat is on the stiffer side, which will suit many people. Additionally, mesh enhances airflow and breathability, resulting in less sweating. There is no doubt that the Mirra 2’s exceptionally comfortable armrests are one of its most important comfort features.
Features of adjustment
A number of adjustment features are available on the older Mirra 1, including lumbar tension, tilt tension, and seat height adjustments. Those were big deals back then. In ten years, the Mirra 2 has become one of the most popular Herman Miller chairs.
You can adjust the seat depth by pulling a lever located just below the seat’s front side, which allows you to find the perfect position for your legs. Additionally, the seat height can be adjusted, the lumbar support can be adjusted, and the arms can be adjusted in 4 directions. Additionally, forward seat tilt is available at an additional cost, which further increases the cost of this already expensive chair. Since most people can live without that feature, it is only recommended for those who truly need it.
Also Read: Top 5 best chair caster for carpet
Compared to the Mirra 1, the Mirra 2 looks more trendy and hip. New-gen Z would be the Mirra 2 if the Mirra 1 is a millennial. Fabric overlays come in a wide variety of colors. The Mirra 2 chair’s streamlined and cleaner framework and structure instantly make it stand out in an office space.
Another very slight difference is also noticeable, but it is easy to miss. The backseat might look a bit different from the seat itself. In Mirra 1, the spine is shaped like a Y, while in Mirra 2, the spine can wrap around the backrest in a loop to provide a wider and more looped look.
However, it didn’t make any difference in terms of function and flexibility. This streamlined and modernized the design of the Mirra 2.
These features will still be available to you
Mirra 2 can be referred to as a reborn Mirra 1. There’s more style, sophistication, and trendiness to it. You fell in love with the Mirra 1 because of its adjustable features. I’m glad to hear that the newly upgraded Mira chair still offers the same amazing adjustability and conveniences.
In addition to the nice S-shaped backrest, you get the 4-way adjustable arms, the 12-year warranty, lumbar height adjustment, tilt tension adjustment, seat depth adjustment, and a 350-pound weight capacity. With their high adjustable features and carrying capacity, Mirra chairs can accommodate 85-90 percent of users.
Warranty and price
Mirra chair production was discontinued by Herman Miller. A refurbished Mirra 1 is still available from 3rd party sellers.
Mirra 1 is on sale on Amazon for a great price. The price is around 800 dollars. Prices fluctuate frequently, however. Compared to the Mirra 1, the Mirra 2 is slightly more expensive. Mirra 2 chairs cost $1265, but the price can increase if you upgrade to a regular chair. You have to pay $133 more if you want an adjustable armrest, for instance.
Herman Miller Mirra 1 Pros
A lot of ergonomic features and adjustments are available in the Herman Miller Mirra 1. Here are a few examples;
- This chair has a very top-notch design and will transform the appearance of the workplace.
- Mirra 1 Chairs come in one size but can be adjusted for a variety of users.
- Herman Miller’s cheapest chair can be purchased for a very low price.
- Mirra 1 Chair offers a very comfortable and soft sitting experience.
- Mesh seats allow for enough airflow in the chair.
- From a straight sitting position, the chair reclines in three different ways.
- With a TriFlex back and harmonic tilt, the chair ensures perfect airflow.
- Your spine is perfectly supported and held in place by the Chair, so you won’t experience any back pain.
- PostureFit prevents slouching and backward rotation by supporting your pelvis passively.
- By adjusting the lever, you can adjust the lumbar tension.
- With adjustable height and angle, the armrests are perfectly padded.
- FlexFront can also be used to adjust seat depth.
- Also, the seat height can be adjusted to suit your height perfectly.
- There is a 12-year warranty on the Chair.
Herman Miller Mirra 1 Cons
Now let’s talk about the downsides of using Herman Miller Mirra 1 Chairs. Take a look at the following list;
- Since the backrest is made of plastic materials, many people find it uncomfortable.
- There are only three positions for reclining, and the chair tilts at a very shallow angle compared to most ergonomic chairs.
- It can be annoying to have the seat pan move along with the chair.
Also Read: How long does a lounge chair caster typically last?
Herman Miller Mirra 2 Pros
According to my research, the Mirra 2 chair has many advantages, including;
- Mirra 2 provides extreme comfort and is highly adjustable.
- High-quality construction ensures durability.
- An adequate amount of airflow and comfort is provided by the TriFlex polymer back.
- Lumbar support can be adjusted according to your needs.
- If you are not satisfied with the Chair, you can get a refund within 30 days.
- As a whole, the Chair will be covered by a 12-year warranty.
- It is possible to adjust the seat depth and height.
- Both the height and width of the armrests can be adjusted.
- With its soft and great elasticity, the AireWeave mesh material on top of the plastic frame makes the chair comfortable to sit in.
- With its good breathability & flexibility, the backrest provides total body support in every aspect.
- There is a fabric layer on the Butterfly back that provides comfort and support.
- 92 percent of the materials used in the Herman Miller Mirra 2 chair are recyclable.
Herman Miller Mirra 2 Cons
- Shorter people may find the armrest adjustment inadequate since it does not promote ergonomic sitting.
- Due to its seat material, many people find the Chair uncomfortable.
- Sitting on the TriFlex backrest can be difficult due to its poly material.
- Regular chairs have fixed armrests and no adjustable features.
- You cannot lock or change the angle of the seat using the regular tilt function.
- A forward tilt function and adjustable armrests cost an additional $133.
Mirra 1 vs Mirra 2: Which Is Better?
It is claimed that Mirra 2 is an update to Mirra 1. Despite this, both chairs have the great build quality and adjustability. Mirra 2 will be preferred by most users over Mirra 1.
You can make a different decision based on your preferences. For instance, if your budget is tight and you need a chair with plenty of adjustments, you should choose Mirra 1.
However, if you do not have a spending limit and require a chair that will take care of your posture and comfort at the same time, Mirra 2 is the best option for you.
Sayl vs Mirra 2 by Herman Miller
Also Read: How to fix gaming chair that leans back?
Comfortable back support
Besides the Aeron chair, the Sayl chair is another Herman Miller option that can be more economical. The Sayl chair has several features that make it a great choice. It’s so narrow and slim that I just love it. Exactly where my shoulders should be, it fits perfectly. It’s easy to stretch from behind because there’s no pinching involved.
Additionally, it has an adjustable lumbar, but I am not sure how much difference it makes. As with the Mirra 2, the Sayl’s contours feel nice on the back. Mirra 2 may be more useful due to its lumbar support.
Also, both chairs have nice S-shaped backs that follow your spine’s contours. Additionally, the material flexes easily to follow and support your movements.
Though the Sayl has lovely thin padding, the armrests can only be adjusted up and down. So I prefer the Mirra’s armrests. And it’s wider too.
In terms of comfort, the Sayl cushion is pretty comfy and fits well around your butt. However, in terms of which is more comfortable, I prefer the Mirra 2 because it is more supportive of your buttocks. Plus, the slimmer profile of the seat works better for me. Despite looking as if the Sayl has a more cushioned seat, those who prefer lusher support may prefer the Sayl seat.
Like the Mirra2, the seat is pretty small as well, so it might be a bit cramped for those who are larger than average. Unless you want a baby tee fit chair, then go for it.
With its all-mesh seat, the Mirra 2 is more cool and breathable, as well as looks more modern.
Look and feel of the design
The design and overall look of both chairs are outstanding. They are both highly customizable and available in a range of colors, upholstery, and other options.
A Sayl chair, for example, does not have any hard edges or frames. It is typically frameless, but it has a single study structure. It is one of the brand’s most complex office chairs. The back of the chair is made of one piece of material. It is held in place by a simple structure.
Its lack of frames reduces the number of materials used, and it has a smaller footprint. The fewer materials are used, the lower the cost is. And the Sayl was probably designed for simplicity.
Is one better than the other?
In order to answer this question, I will list down a few points about the Herman Miller chair.
This Herman Miller chair is the only, if not the best, one for people who are short or average-sized or who stand less than 5’10”. And if you love the freedom of having a frameless chair, it’s a great choice. However, if you’re taller, the backrest might be too short, making you uncomfortable.
You need to order a more expensive Sayl chair to enjoy more adjustable features in an ergonomic office chair.
It has a more supportive seat than a cushiony one, and if you want a more breathable chair, the mesh seat allows more air circulation. Both chairs feel great on the back.
Each brand has a smaller footprint and a sleeker, thinner profile, so you decide which one fits your needs best. In a sea of office chairs, both Herman Miller chairs can stand out, especially if you choose brighter colors. The Mirra 2 and Sayl chair have intricate back designs that are easy to spot.
Also Read: Top 6 best office chair for pelvic pain
Compared to the Mirra 1, the Mirra 2 is more stylish and modern. And you will not be able to find the Mirra 1 on the brand’s website. There are refurbished models you can get for yourself if you want a wider framework but still enjoy the highly adjustable features of the Mirra 1. There are lots of people who are upgrading to Mirra 2! So you’ll certainly find Mirra 1s that are available.